Castle of Škofja Loka
Old town core is consisted from Upper – Town square called Plac and Lower square called Lontrg both dominated by the Castle of Škofja Loka which bids the visitors welcome at the entrance to the town. It must have been built before the year 1202 because it was described as very firm in the document from the same year. The castle was built by the bishops of Freising and it was the place of administrator of the Loka dominion and of the granary-administrator. It was also lodging for the bishop when he was on leave. The Castle was almost totally demolished in the earthquake in 1511 but it was restored by the bishop Filip.
Škofja Loka Museum
The Museum is situated in the Castle of Škofja Loka. Entertainments are held in the castle chapel, where also the famous golden altars from Dražgoše stand. Marriages are possible in the chapel, too. The Museum has very rich historical, archaeological, art-historical and ethnological collection.
Tavčar’s manor at Visoko
On the terrace above the right bank of Poljanska Sora, which skirts the Škofja Loka hills with a dominant Church of St. Volbenk, large farms stand. Larger and more powerful is Kalan’s farm. It was in the early 20th century claimed by the name Tavčar homestead, because the estate was bought by the writer and politician Ivan Tavčar. Slightly more modest is closer to thebridge built Debeljak homestead, which has preserved its original residential and commercial purpose.
On the edge of the village Puštal, next to the medieval Škofja Loka, located above the right bank of Poljanska Sora is Nace’s house. The house is the only one in Škofja Loka, who since the mid-18th century to the present day did not significantly change his outward appearance and his residence. Layout is a typical alpine house. The ground floor has a brick hallway, black kitchen, wooden lower house, a small room and a granary. The year 1755, which is preserved on the ceiling of the lower house, indicates the time a thorough renovation in the Baroque period. Rare late Gothic carved stone details show the formation of a house in the 16th century. Nace House is the best preserved farm building in Škofja Loka area and in the Ljubljana hinterland.
The sight of the Capuchin monastery is library of father Romuald Marušič, which is located in extension building of the monastery. It contains about 5,200 books of older stock units, which have the status of a cultural monument. Among its treasures is 21 incunabula. These are the books printed before 1500, the oldest of them is from the year 1473. Among the manuscripts is the most famous ŠKOFJA LOKA PASSION PLAY (Processio Locopolitana), which was finalized in 1721 and with calligraphic script written by Capuchin Romuald Marusic. It is the oldest completely preserved Slovenian dramatic text, equipped with overhead notes. In addition, the library is also a permanent exhibition on Škofja Loka Passion Play.
Stone (or Capuchin) bridge
A promenade through the historical town begins on Stone bridge or Capuchin’s bridge which takes you to the Upper square. The bridge was built by bishop Leopold in the middle of the 14th century. The fate wanted that the same bishop, riding across the fenceless bridge, together with his startled horse fell from the bridge and got drowned in the water. The bridge was built from carved stone in the semicircular form. It was restored in the year 1888 and equipped with iron fence. In the middle of the bridge statue of saint John of Nepomuk with the seal of Škoja Loka engraved in the socle was set up. In the Middle Ages there was Selca’s gate with its guarding tower by the bridge. With its respectable age of more than 600 years the Capuchin’s bridge is one of the oldest monuments of its architectural kind in the Central Europe.
Mary`s annunciation church in Crngrob
Church in Crngrob has been since the Middle Ages, a popular pilgrimage point. The church has in the shelter sheds neo-Gothic façade of the Holy Sunday fresco, which originates from the mid-15th century and shows the tasks that have been at this time on Sundays prohibited. Pilgrimage Church of the Annunciation is one of the most beautiful medieval churches in Slovenia. It evolved over time, from the end of the 13th century to the mid 19th century. On the front of the church is a fresco of St. Christopher with Jesus on his shoulder. St. Christopher was recommending against premature death. The main altar dedicated to Mary, is the biggest golden altar in Upper Carniola. The church is also a kind of museum piece, to be located here since the mid-15th century and, according to legend belonged to Ajdovska deklica.
Ema’s pilgrimage path
Ema’s Route of Pilgrimage connects the places that are associated with St. Ema’s life. Ema reigned with her husband William II. of Friesach-Zeltschach in the land from Frilly to Upper Styria and Lower Carniola. Despite her tragic loss of her husband and her sons and other severe challenges she had not lost her faith, on the contrary she dedicated her life to the poor and established many parishes. The route leads throught Carinthia, Styria, Lower Carniola and Upper Styria and is connected with the route in Austria. The Ema’s Route in Škofja Loka area leads along Poljanska valley to Žiri, through Škofja Loka where at tourist information point you can get all the information about Ema’s pilgrimage route, the pilgrimage booklet and map. The trail further leads in Crngrob with the Church of the Annunciation, through Selška valley to Železniki and Sorica.